Thursday, June 16, 2011

Urinary Tract Infections

Hello everyone! The topic of discussion in yesterdays lecture was urinary tract infections. I will begin my post by summarizing the types of UTI's and then post a link with more detailed information.

Bacteriuria is defined as the presence of bacteria in the urine. The source of the bacteria is most likely associated with a UTI, which can be divided further into asymptomatic, pyelonephritis, urethritis, cystitis, and acute urethral syndrome.


Type of Bacteriuria
Site of Infection
Symptoms
Pyelonephritis
Upper UTI, kidney parenchyma, calyces, and pelvis
Vomiting, diarrhea, chills, increased heart rate, lower abdominal pain
Cystitis
Lower UTI, Bladder
Dysuria, increased frequency, suprapubic tenderness, hematuria
Urethritis
Lower UTI, Urethra, sexually transmitted
Frequency, dysuria
Acute Urethral Syndrome
Lower UTI, primarily infection of sexually active women
Frequency, dysuria, urgency


Predisposing factors that may lead to infection include compromised urine flow, alteration of pH and osmolarity due to hormones (pregnancy), high glucose concentrations, indwelling catheters, congential structural abnormalities, and immunosuppression. UTI's occurs most commonly in women due to shorter urethra, proximity of the urethra to the anus, and urethral contamination in sexual intercourse. 

Routes of infection that lead to Upper UTI's are divided into ascending routes and hematogenous, or descending routes. The ascending route is the most common. The bacteria migrate from the bladder to the upper urinary tract. The descending route occurs through the migration of organisms from the blood to the kidney.

The most common pathogens of UTI's include E. Coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, S. saprophyticus, Poreus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeriginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Enterococcus, and other Enterobacteriaceae species. The following table lists some common causes of UTI's and how they might be identified.

This link provide more detail about types of UTI's


Also, here is a link to a case study! You may have to copy and paste it into your address bar. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed of Herpes 2 years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr Akhigbe) who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when I contacted Dr Akhigbe through his Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when I received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it,I started using it as instructed and I stopped getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe I was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until I see it as my HERPES get cleared like magic Dr Akhigbe also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV, HERPES, CANCER, ALS, CHRONIC DISEASE, HEART DISEASE, LUPUS, ASTHMA, DIABETES HEPATITIS A AND B.ECZEMA, BACK PAIN, EXTERNAL EFFECTION ION,EPILEPSY,STROKE,KIDNEY DISEASE,ACME. etc Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbal root cure. via Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348142454860 and get cured permanently He is real..

    website: https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here to appreciate doctor chala for helping me for The cure which really work for me God will always continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you did in my life, I will always keep on writing good and posting my testimonies about you on the Internet, I was tested positive,I lost hope and I wept all day, contact Dr chala today and share your problems with him on his email address dr.chalaherbalherhome@gmail.com or visit his website on http://drchalaherbalhome.godaddysites.com on https://mywa.link/dr.chalaherbalhome

    ReplyDelete