Friday, June 10, 2011

Meningitis

On Thursday in lecture we discussed CSF examination in Infectious Disease.  Meningitis is characterized by inflammation of the membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. It is divided into two categories: purulent and aseptic. Purulent meningitis is usually associated with bacterial infections and CSF examination revealing a large number of neutrophils. Aseptic meningitis is usually associated with viral infections and CSF examination revealing a large number of lymphocytes. The following table categorizes Purulent meningitis by age and condition and organisms commonly responsible for the infection.


Age or Condition
Organism
Neonates
S. agalactiae
E. Coli
Listeria
GNB

< 5
N. meningitidis
S. pneumoniae
H. Influenzae (hib)

Young Adult

N. meningitidis

Adult

N. meningitidis
S. pneumoniae

Elderly
S. pneumoniae
Listeria
S. aureus
GNB

Aids Patients
Cryptococcus neoformans

Now we'll consider the following case history. See if you can identify the diagnosis and organism responsible for the infection in the following patient.

Case History:

A 38-year-old woman with no significant previous medical history came to the emergency department with a complaint of mild sore throat that had persisted for three days, accompanied by arthralgia, myalgia, and low-grade fever. The day before she had a severe headache with neck stiffness, nausea, and vomiting. Her white blood cell count was 21,800/mm3 with 67% polymorphonuclear leukocytes and 26% band cells. Platelet count was 200,000/mm3. Electrolyte levels were within normal range, and the glucose level was 131 mg/dL. A chest film showed no signs of pneumonia. A lumbar puncture revealed clear cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) with a glucose level of 88 mg/dL and a total protein level of 33 mg/dL and no cells. Approximately 12 hours later, she became acutely lethargic and a second spinal tap was performed. The CSF appeared cloudy and now contained 871 white blood cells, of which 93% were polymorphonuclear leukocytes; the glucose level was 1 mg/dL; the total protein level, 417 mg/dL. Gram stain revealed rare gram-negative diplococci.


In addition medium sized, smooth, gray to white colonies grew on chocolate agar. To discover the diagnosis and identification of the organism visit the following link...


I hope you found this helpful! 





1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS A&B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,PARKINSON DISEASE,INFLUENZA,. COMMON COLD, AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER, MENINGITIS, LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN, JOINT SCHIZOPHRENIA , PAIN.LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2348142454860  he is a real good and honest man.  
    website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete